Thursday, September 17, 2015

My "Still" Shack... Wait? What??

Damn it Boilerdoc!! Why you gotta be so nosy?! :P

Out picking hazelnuts, eh?
Yeah, right ;-)

Well, since y'all are here, how 'bout a little tour...


Back in May...
The little shed I'd been eyeing was on sale. Woohoo!! But I hit a snag right off the bat. Damn box didn't fit in the crossover, so I shredded it to pieces outside the store, and puzzle fitted all the parts in. The clerk dude tried to help, but he looked more confused then anything, so I sent him on his way. With good reason, he was trying to jam in the huge box with a good foot and half still sticking out of the back. He was ramming it, as if suddenly, it would magically get smaller. I could hear cracking sounds!! Like seriouly?!! Move, away from the shed!! Grrrr....

So off to the woodlot I go, plotting and planning in my mind... How am I gonna make this little still shack happen? ...With no driveway (yet), and a good 250 feet of uphill woodsy obstacles to step over, just to access the designated building spot from the side lot. Sure, help would be nice, but I don't have that luxury at the moment. So to work I go.

Previously, I had prepped in anticipation...

Yup, this feels right. I got a sunny clear spot a few feet behind, for the future garden. The house will be behind where I'm standing. And you'll see later, a trail to the right, going down to the east end of the driveway. This spot is impossible to see from the road. Another perk I had on top of my planning list ;-)


Little tree in the way...


Problem solved.


All cleared, now I gotta take care of the slope.


Pilling up the dirt I'm taking out of the fire pit.
Notice the little rock on top. It's special, cuz so far, it's the only fucking rock I found on this lot... so weird. I'm sure I'll find more, but for now, I'm stashing this one ;-)


It doesn't look like much, but it took more then I expected to level this thing out.


A view standing downhill. I laid my little cement blocks, the size of the shed. Almost level. I ended up taking them all away and adding more dirt. Those were fun to lug to the site. Not! On the flip side, I am getting some awesome workouts playing out here ;-)

~ Some Assembly Required ~
No Shit! :P


I finished it over a couple days. The "instructions" suggested a second person and a power screwdriver, neither of which I had. So I improvised with lots of strategic leaning and elbow grease. Over 100 self tapping screws, and no pre drilled holes.... #$@!%!!!!

Needless to say, I am very proud of my little shed ;-)


Here I'm standing a little higher then the driveway level, looking up at my first build. It was still empty at the time, and fairly light. Since I didn't pour a slab, it would be pretty useless to anchor it on the cement blocks, so for the first few nights, I jammed small trees around it, just in case the wind picked up.

Next, I built a basic fence around it, nailed to the bigger trees. It ain't going anywhere, unless a hurricane or a human gets involved.




Notice my little lonely rock at the base of the tree... ;-)


Here's a more recent picture
with some of the flowers and plants I added to the wild stuff.


Ok now, head down the trail, and scram!!
This is private property...


Thanks for visiting ;-)

8 comments:

PioneerPreppy said...

I'm still chuckling but that is truly an awesome outhouse.... I mean shed. Oh ya a very noble looking rock too :)

I been thinking of buying a little shed like that to store all my tractor and implement extras in like PTO shafts, cross bars etc.

MissK said...

It ain't very big, 3 x 4 actually. But I am amazed at all I could fit in there. I got a shelving unit on the left wall, a large bin for random items that need water proofing, like TP, and matches. All my garden tools, big and small, bug spray, contractor paint, basic carpentry tools, fuel tank for the Husky, axes and saws, chair cousins, and a 6cuft wheelbarrow that I would love to camo one day. All that and room to spare... but no indoor plumbing PP... ;-)

...oh I forgot, 2 large watering cans and a 20 foot ladder :D

guttridgeg1 said...

:-) Looks real good :-)

Boilerdoc said...

The hooch hut!

angrymike said...

Probably, Boilerdoc, you know those Canadian's.........

chuck w said...

Looking good and I can imagine the work it took to make it happen. Thanks for sharing.

idahobob said...

Very nice, sweetheart! :-D

A great start!

I could use your work ethic and ingenuity, here, around the home ranch.

Bob
III

Patrick D said...

Hope ya didn't fergit to dig a little trench on the uphill side to divert rainwater, and keep it from washing out yer foundation....oh, that's probly what you saved the precious rock for, huh?
Feller I used ta know was into water supply systems design. One of his favorite sayings was, "Whoever said 'in the spring a young man's fancy turns to love' was wrong. It's drainage man, drainage!"